commentary, stories, philosophies, cooking and random thoughts. follow my life's journey as i unravel it. the main page contains five days of entries. this site is maintained by october30. for more articles please visit: ciudadista.wordpress.com

Sunday, March 21, 2004

The Chef for the Night

Yesterday, I was given another chance to use my culinary skills. My friend's daughter asked me to cook for her. I said I was cool about the task. She had minced beef (in the brink of spoilage) and chicken nibbles (about three weeks old in the freezer).

I placed the frozen chicken in the microwave for 15 minutes to defrost.

I sautéed the minced beef with onions and added some tomato paste and tomato sauce (catsup in American lingo). The meat was almost spoiled so it was tasting sour so I added fish sauce to mask the unpleasant taste. Fortunately the taste masking went good so I proceeded in adding peas and carrots. I was feeling adventurous so I added some spices like pepper, paprika and crushed chillies. Mmmm... yummy...

Back to the chicken... It was now half cooked after its long stay in the microwave. This I think cut my cooking time. I marinated it in barbecue sauce, soy sauce and other spices in the cupboard. I heated the pan and used olive oil spread to fry the chicken. The end result was a caramel coloured chicken with a sweet taste and a spicy bite. Mouth watering isn't it?

Fortunately the daughter liked my cooking. Its delightful to hear her approval to repay my efforts.