commentary, stories, philosophies, cooking and random thoughts. follow my life's journey as i unravel it. the main page contains five days of entries. this site is maintained by october30. for more articles please visit: ciudadista.wordpress.com

Sunday, March 21, 2004

The End of Times as a Unique Selling Point Used by Evangelicals?

Disclaimer: I am not turning this blog into a Christianity or religious blog.

I have observed that a common tract of Christian Evangelical organisations is the coming End of Times or the Second Coming of Jesus Christ. They give you elaborate and graphic descriptions of what would happen when such an event would happen.

Some also use this biblical prophesy to advance their political agenda. Such an agenda may me an agenda in government or a campaign against other denominations like Catholicism or other faiths like Islam or whatever. I guess its a fact that debunking other denominations is becoming an industry. In the web alone their are a lot of websites that "prove" that Catholicism is the "whore of babylon."

While not leaning in favour of any faith or denomination, I have observed that the Evangelicals are constantly using the Apocalypse tract as a way to convince people to convert. For me this seems problematic because one does not "turn a way from sin and follow the gospel" because he or she is scared of God's punishment. Change must come from within. It is a personal understanding of doing what is right is correct whether or not it merits a reward or not.

Moreover, Jesus said, "I give you a new commandment: love one another. As I have loved you, so you also should love one another." (John 13:34)

What would happen if people only change for a reward?