commentary, stories, philosophies, cooking and random thoughts. follow my life's journey as i unravel it. the main page contains five days of entries. this site is maintained by october30. for more articles please visit: ciudadista.wordpress.com

Wednesday, September 24, 2003

feijoa
[fay-YOH-ah; fay-JOH-ah]

Feijoa photo http://www.feijoa.org.nz

This small, egg-shaped fruit is native to South America, though New Zealand is now a major exporter and California cultivates a small crop. It's also referred to as a pineapple guava , and is often mislabeled in produce sections as GUAVA. A thin, bright green skin surrounds the feijoa's exceedingly fragrant, cream-colored flesh that encases a jellylike center. The flavor is complex, with sweet notes of quince, pineapple and mint. New Zealand feijoas are available from spring to early summer; those from California reach the market in the fall. Choose fruit that has a rich, perfumy fragrance and gives slightly to the touch. Ripen by placing it in a paper bag with an apple for several days at room temperature. Ripe feijoas can be refrigerated 3 to 5 days. Before using, remove the slightly bitter peel. Feijoas are naturals in fruit salads, desserts and as garnishes. They contain a fair amount of vitamin C. (Epicurious.com 2003)

I never at this fruit as it is. I at it once with my yogurt. I often see these in the supermarket in the fruit and vegetable section. I never thought of trying it buy it probably because I cannot pronounce it until last May. Whenever I pass this fruit I just smell it. It has a cute smell.